10 Amazing Health Benefits of Olive Oil
1. The monounsaturated fatty acids in olive oil can lower your low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and total cholesterol levels.
Donald Hensrud, M.D., “
?” Mayo Clinic. Feb. 25, 2014.
2. If you take a cholesterol medication like Atorvastatin, putting olive oil on salads will boost your heart attack and stroke prevention efforts.
Lisa Collier Cool, “
.” Yahoo! Health. May 23, 2014.
3. Adding olive oil to nitrate-rich vegetables like spinach and broccoli can help lower your blood pressure.
Elena Paravantes, “
.” Olive Oil Times. May 22, 2014.
4. Replacing saturated fats with olive oil can reduce breast, respiratory tract, upper digestive tract and colorectal cancer risks.
.” The World’s Healthiest Foods.
5. Unlike other dietary fatty acids, the oleic acid in olive oil helps regulate insulin secretion and minimize blood sugar spikes after meals.
Sarah Kenwright, “
.” Chemistry World. April 8, 2014.
6. Olive oil’s oleocanthal may reduce your Alzheimer’s disease risk by producing proteins and enzymes that remove abnormal amino acids from your brain.
American Cancer Society, “
.” Science Daily. March 20, 2013.
7. Because olive oil helps you be strong emotionally, it can reduce your chances of developing depression.
Shraddha Rupavate, “
.” In Light Times. April-May 2014.
8. Extra virgin olive oil may relieve your arthritis symptoms by lowering the C-reactive protein and other chemicals associated with inflammation.
Laura Dolson. “
.” About.com Low-Carb Diets. June 5, 2014.
9. Antioxidants in olive oil can heal your internal cells and improve your appearance by protecting your skin from damage.
Jacque Wilson, “
.” CNN. Feb. 26, 2013.
10. Swallowing a teaspoon of olive oil before breakfast will line your intestinal wall and relieve constipation.
Traci D. Mitchell, “
.” Get Fit Chicago. Feb. 23, 2014.